The Vocabulary Carnival (Vocarnival) at SEMANTiCS 2018 is a unique opportunity for vocabulary publishers to showcase and share their work, meet the growing community of vocabulary publishers and users, and build useful semantic, technical and social links. The Vocarnival forms part of the SEMANTiCS programme with the Carnival Minute Madness and the marketplace.
Expected vocabulary types
All types! A very wide vocabulary definition applies to this competition, including ontologies, classifications, thesauri, concept and metadata schemes, independently of their format, be it RDF or not.
Prizes for winners!
Prizes for the wining teams:
1st place: Full SEMANiCS 2019 Conference Pass, trophy and certificate
2nd place: PoolParty Semantic Integration Training, trophy and certificate
3rd place: trophy and certificate.
Moreover you will have the chance to:
- make people aware of your work,
- connect and exchange with other vocabulary creators,
- receive expert feedback about your work,
- discover and discuss other exciting vocabularies, bootstrap your new Vocabulary project! You can present your ideas and early stage vocabs and find the right people to get the Vocab discussion going. At least a project web site will be required at this stage.
How to submit your Vocabulary to the Carnival?
Step 1: Make sure your vocabulary is accessible on the Web via a public URI.
Step 2: Submit your vocabulary here:
Step 3: Come to SEMANTiCS 2018 (Register here) and present your poster!
Step 4: Every poster will be presented in our exhibition area. The organising committee will select the best vocabulary poster and presentation for the awards.
How to present your vocabulary poster
at the SEMANTiCS 2018 Conference:
- Prepare a poster (max format A0) presenting your vocabulary: description, purpose, history and link to its publication page. Your description of the vocabulary must include the above criteria.
- Present your poster in the dedicated space at SEMANTiCS conference.
- Brace yourself to participate in the Vocabulary Minute Madness, where every vocabulary will have one minute to convince of its usefulness and quality. Sporting your vocabulary colors at this occasion is optional, but will be much appreciated.
Are there any technical requirements?
Your vocabulary submission will be evaluated in accordance to the following criteria:
- Reusability - Which vocabularies and/or ontology design patterns have been reused in its development? Has it been mapped, aligned, imported within other ontologies yet? If not, where do you foresee potential reuse?
- Value addition - How does the vocabulary provide value addition for the intended project or domain as compared to previous efforts and to Semantic Web in general?
- Design and Technical quality - how do the ontologies incorporate best practices in design, i.e., using ontology design patterns or extending from upper level ontologies?
- Documentation - does the vocabulary provide both human and machine readable documentation using for e.g., rdfs:label, rdfs:comment and HTML documentation?
- Availability: We expect your vocabulary (terminology, taxonomy, ontology, etc.) to be hosted on the Web at a persistent URI and with an appropriate licence specification.
- Usage: Which academic/industrial projects have adopted the vocabulary? Which datasets have been annotated using the vocabulary?
About the Vocabulary Carnival
The Vocabulary Carnival will be hosted at the SEMANTiCS 2018 conference, Sep 10-13, 2018
Alexandra Garatzogianni, Senior Research and Innovation Project Manager at the Leibniz Information Center for Science & Technology, University Library (TIB) and the L3S Research Center at the Leibniz University of Hannover, Alexandra.Garatzogianni@tib.eu
Sebastian Hellmann, Executive Director of DBpedia Association, Senior Researcher at AKSW/KILT Research Group, Research Fellow at Universität Leipzig